INTERMEDIATE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST
An employee-owned company, Summit Environmental Consultants Inc. provides a range of consulting services in the environmental assessment and planning, water resources management, environmental management, and information management/GIS sectors. Our clients include industry; Federal, Provincial and local governments; First Nations; and small business. Summit is a member of the Associated Engineering Group of companies. While our headquarters is in Vernon, British Columbia, we also have offices in Burnaby, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Whitehorse and Yellowknife; giving us access to challenging and interesting projects across western and northern Canada. Summit’s culture emphasizes fluid collaboration across disciplines and offices, and we place a strong emphasis on career development and mentoring.
Summit is seeking an Intermediate Environmental Scientist
to join our Environmental Assessment and Planning Group in the Vernon
office. As part of a team of professionals and reporting to the Environmental Assessment and Planning Group Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for characterizing ecological values, preparing environmental assessments and management plans, regulatory liaison, and managing projects. Critical skills for this role are effective time management, attention to detail, collaboration, and confidence in making decisions. Some travel is required for this position. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Field assessments of aquatic and terrestrial habitats, sensitive ecosystems and vegetation
- Preparing high quality proposals and technical reports, including permits and regulatory documents
- Completing projects on time and within project scope and budget
- Mentoring junior staff
- Managing projects, including budget management, client liaison, technical leadership and coordinating a project team
- Business development, including developing and managing client relationships
- Leading projects through a range of federal, provincial, and municipal regulatory processes
Candidates should have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s or graduate degree in biology or environmental sciences
- Four years project management experience in consulting or applied research
- Professional registration (e.g. R.P.Bio.)
- Experience in species and/or vegetation inventory; bird experience considered an asset.
- Awareness and experience with a range of regulatory approval processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of data sources and tools (e.g. BEC, SEI, VRI, TEM)
If you have the right background and would like to join one of Canada's 50 Best Managed companies, please forward your resume in confidence to Corinna Hoodicoff at email@example.com
. Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. No 3rd party placement will be accepted.